Cramer wins Oak Harbor’s 22nd state wrestling title

Luke Cramer on the podium Luke Cramer on the podium

Behind Luke Cramer’s first-place finish at 170 pounds, the Oak Harbor Rockets finished seventh at the Division II State Wrestling Meet with 44 points, the sixth time in seven years that the team has finished in the top-10 at the state meet.

Along with Cramer’s victory at 170, fellow senior Jared Chambers came in fifth at 152 and sophomore T.J. Lawrence was eighth in the heavyweight division (285).

For the 13th consecutive season Graham won the state title, finishing with 155.5, ahead of Perry (87.5) and Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (78.5). In addition to finishing seventh this season, the Rockets had finished in the top-five for five consecutive seasons (2007-11), coming in third, second, fifth, second and third, respectively, during that span.

Cramer, who finished fourth at 138 last season, was absolutely dominant, winning one of his matches with a pin, and the other three by a combined score of 34-5. After defeating Eaton’s Tyler Claybaker by major decision, 12-0, in the first round, he pinned Matt Dennis (Uhrichsville Claymont) in 3:36 before defeating St. Paris Graham’s Lane Thomas, 6-1, to advance to the finals. From there, Cramer took Clarksville Clinton-Massie’s Wyatt Running, winning by major decision, 16-4, to claim Oak Harbor’s 22nd state wrestling title.

Chambers, who qualified for state last season, pinned Columbus Mifflin’s Hannibal Tate in 3:23 to win his first match before falling to eventual-champion Alex Marinelli of Graham, 13-5, in the quarterfinals. Chambers did recover, however, winning three of his next four matches in the consolation bracket to finish fifth, defeating league foe Blake Miller of Clyde, 4-2.

T.J. Lawrence, who burst onto the scene this year as a sophomore, won his first match by sudden victory, 4-2, over Columbus Hamilton’s Alonzo Jewell before falling to Perry’s Billy Miller, the eventual champion, by pin at 3:54. After being moved to the consolation bracket, Lawrence was able to outlast Evan Loughman of Thornville Sheridan, 3-2, finishing eighth.

Senior Alec Bowlick came up just short in his quest to place, losing two out of three matches, including, 9-4, to Fairfield Union’s Stewart Oehlers in the consolation bracket. Had Bowlick won that match, he would’ve guaranteed himself of, at worst, an eighth-place finish.

back to top