Enticing aromas of apple scones and johnny cakes will fill the Wolcott Keeper’s House this Saturday, Sept. 14, from 11 a.m-3 p.m., during the second Saturday open house at 9999 East Bayshore Road, Marblehead,
A hearth cooking demonstration on the Keeper’s House cooking fireplace, led by veteran hearth masters Ray and Georgette Machar and their crew, will show visitors how family fare was prepared during the era of the War of 1812 in the Firelands Frontier.
The Wolcott Keeper’s House property was in the midst of the first Ohio land skirmish of the War in September of 1812. The original log cabin was replaced with the existing stone home in 1820 by the property owner, Marblehead’s first lighthouse keeper, Benajah Wolcott. The Ottawa County Historical Society purchased the property in the late 1980’s and has restored it for use as a living history site. The original cemetery behind the house where Wolcott and family members are buried was restored and is maintained by Danbury Township, and is open for self-guided tours.
The adjacent gift shop and museum will also be open and has available for purchase DVD’s of the 2012 Skirmish on the Peninsula reenactment and other history related books, the new Ottawa County Railroad Tour booklets, media and gift items.
Tickets for the annual fund raising drawing are on sale for $1 each or 6 for $5. Prizes this year are a signed and framed Ben Richmond print, The Keeper’s House, a Heritage queen sized quilt and shams and a $75gift certificate from Martha and Molly’s, and a Marblehead Destination bracelet from Emily’s GSE Jewelers. The drawing will be Saturday, Oct. 12, at 3 p.m., during the Keeper’s House annual Lighthouse Festival Civil War Encampment.
If you’d like to volunteer at the Keeper’s House, stop by Saturday or call Sharon and Bill Coder at 419-798-5832. Volunteers are needed for next season both at the house and the Museum. For more information about the OCHS go to our web site, www.thekeepershouse.org.