Menu

Household hazardous waste collection

On Saturday, Sept. 14, the Ottawa, Sandusky, Seneca Joint Solid Waste District is sponsoring a Household Hazardous Waste Collection. The collection will take place from 

9 a.m. to 12 noon. In order to bring materials to the collection you must be a resident of Ottawa, Sandusky or Seneca County. Collection times are as follows:

Last name A thru M (9 a.m.–10:30 a.m.)    
Last name N thru Z (10:30 a.m.–12 p.m.)

The collection sight in Ottawa County is at the Ottawa County Fairgrounds on W. St. Rt. 163, Oak Harbor. Residents are asked not to smoke and to stay in their vehicles while they are being unloaded at the collection. The following paint and related products will be accepted during the collection in containers no larger than five gallons:

• Latex & oil based paint, sealers, primers, coatings & spray paint aerosol cans
• Household pesticides (bug and rodent killers), Herbicides (weed killers),
• Insecticides (bug killers), fungicides (mold killers)
• Varnish, polyurethane and shellacs, wood stains, primers and strippers, paint thinner, turpentine, kerosene and lighter fluid
• Household cleaners (oven and drain cleaner and muriatic acid)
• Hand-held propane cylinders
• Household batteries, fluorescent bulbs and compact fluorescent bulbs, cooking oil
• Automotive fluids including antifreeze and motor oil
• Mercury – solids, liquids and thermostats
• Any paint or household hazardous waste container that is completely dry and empty can be disposed of in your regular trash if lid is removed.
• NO Construction Materials (Shingles) or Asbestos Materials

This is a household collection only. Materials from businesses or institutions will not be accepted.  Also note that any paint can that is completely dry can be disposed of in your regular trash if the lid is removed.

As a part of this collection you may bring your old mercury fever thermometer to the collection site and exchange it for a new digital thermometer, while the District’s supply lasts. Remember to place your mercury thermometer in a double Ziploc plastic bag when you bring the thermometer to the site. Mercury is a danger in the household if a thermometer breaks, because mercury vaporizes at room temperature (70 F). Breathing this vapor can damage the brain, liver and kidneys. If there is ever a mercury spill in the home contact your local fire department for information on how to handle the spill.    

For general recycling information, District recycling collections or sponsored events log onto the OSS Solid Waste District's website at www.recycleoss.org or visit facebook or twitter. For more information call the District's main office at 419-334-7222 or toll-free at 1-888-850-7224.

back to top